1990 300GD (460) Engine

2 replies [Last post]
mortinson
mortinson's picture

Being a matter of general interest and just in case I might be wrong, I have decided to reply publicly to a PM that I received this morning:

millbarnjeff wrote:
Jesus,

I hope you don't mind me emailing you, I am told you are the fount of all knowledge!

I have a 1990 300GD (460) with a knackered engine and I need to find a replacement, I rang a guy in Scotland selling a 300d engine from a car but he said I needed a later engine as this would only fit a 1985 or earlier model. Do you know what engine I could use to replace my original and I can then start on the trail!!

Thanks

The guy is wrong. He is obviously misled by the fact that the Mercedes saloon (300 D) model was changed in 1985-1986 from the series W123 to W124. At that moment, it also received the new OM 603 six cylinder engine, replacing the OM617 which is the one sitting in your car. The key is that the switch in diesel engines in the G-Wagen did not happen until 1991, when the 463 was introduced fitted with the OM 603, replacing the OM617. Obviously the guy, oblivious to this fact, has assumed that being your G a 1990 model it must have the OM603 6 cylinder engine when it actual fact it has the OM617, which is the one he must have in stock if it indeed comes from a pre-1985 300 D.

So get it touch with the guy again and tell him that the engine that you need is the OM617 (preferably give him all the serial number) and get the number of the engine he's got. If in doubt come back to us.

Regards,

millbarnjeff
millbarnjeff's picture
1990 300GD (460) Engine

Thanks for info engine he has is 617 so all looks ok, in fact he has 2 one manual and one auto, mine is a manual, qustion now is would the auto fit in without modification?

Cheers

Bill Moss
Bill Moss's picture
GWOA Groups: Members
300 engine

To fit an auto into a previously manual requires a lot of other things to be changed too, if it is coming out of a car he wont have those thins, like the selector mechanism the kick down etc, if you have a manual that is okay,buy the engine with the manual box youll have a spare box then,
I too have spares two engines and a manual and a auto gear box, I also have a later om 603 6 cylinder turbo engine which will fit a 460 provided you fit a gear box to suit and uprate the cooling system.

Good luck