230E, 280GE OR 300GD

42 replies [Last post]
cybernout10
cybernout10's picture

Hi hello. I amnew to this site as i dont have a G wagon yet. Need the advice of all the experts here. There are currently 3 vehicles for sale in my country. I believe they were probably imported from the UK. They have been lying around in the shiptard probably a few years. One is a 230E, a 280GE and a 300GD. BTW they are being sold quite cheap between 2-4000 pounds. I have not seen them yet detailed oics will be uploaded later. Any input would be appreciated...would be a good move to buy if they are cheap...

300GD WAGON

280GE WAGON

230 E WAGON

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members
Re: 230E, 280GE OR 300GD

For vehicles that have been standing for a few years, £2 - £4000 is still too steep by my reckoning; I would not bid more than £1500 tops!

Unless you are a trader, ALWAYS check out your vehicle before buying and get it professionally inspected.

cybernout10
cybernout10's picture
Thanks for the good advice. Is the vehicle really that good compared to old cruisers and patrols. The Aussies swear by them. Or am I just on flight of fancy. With due respect to all gwagon owners here. I own an old patrol and it has not given much problem.
cybernout10
cybernout10's picture
Here is a pic of my patrol with all the rusts...
cybernout10
cybernout10's picture
Here you go.
prwales
prwales's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

The diesel will give least trouble in theory; but it may have more miles under its belt than the two petrols, particularly the 280 which can often have very low miles due in part to its spectacular thirst. Try before you buy, if you know someone who has owned one, take them with you. The 280 is the nicest to drive, smoothest and quietest and by some margin the fastest, The diesel is an uneven vibratory old thing, slow too, but as tough as old boots. The 230 a compromise, not as fast or smooth as the 280 but a nicer place to be in than the diesel.

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture

With view to the old Land Cruisers and Patrols' if we see what the market has done; true Australia and the African continent are a wash with them but pricing has some part to play; they are cheaper than the G-Wagens. 

Your question is largely dependent on how you intend using the 4 X 4? How much offroading or more mundanely, how much of bad road conditions-driving you intend doing? I have not personally experienced any Japanese four by four so I cannot comment.

By my perception, if these vehicles offer internally operating front and rear axle locking differentials, then on cost grounds stick with them. Parts should easier to source locally. The older G-Wagens rust too, a few body panels  can be sourced after market but of poor fittings and the rest are dealer parts only. Current state in the UK is the older ones were too slow and any 4 X 4 is going to be thirsty which if that is your concern, any 4 X 4 should not be your choice.

The trend here, particularly in the diesel models is to transplant the old diesel engine for more powerful versions from the saloon models. This conversion is not cheap, depending on what is required one needs to budget around the £6000 mark. There have been a few examples of petrol conversions but more diesels.

Once the niggley concerns have been covered and the G-Wagen is looked after, they are reliable. Hence, I commented in my earlier reply to have these professional inspected; you want to check the condition of front axle bearings, all diff. lockers work, address oil leak issues, head gasket issues, fuel tank condition (metal tanks if leak can be repaired in the UK but where you are in the Far east; I don't know?) the plastic tank replacement is not cheap! There could be issues with propeller shafts, worn or having vibrational issues, the wiper spindles having excessive play and so on. So unless you are a trader do not buy blindly unless you have money to burn. You need to be patient in looking for a good one.

prwales
prwales's picture

the poster doesn't say where he lives other than its in the far east, my guess though is that petrol is much cheaper than it is here in the UK, as an example, Malaysia it works out at £2 for a gallon, so the smelly stuff, [diesel] may not be an issue

gav.helme
gav.helme's picture

The posters profile did say Malaysia before it was changed to its current location 

cybernout10
cybernout10's picture
Yup ..am from Malaysia and petrol is £1.50 for four litres. Diesel is a little cheaper
IanA2
IanA2's picture

Petrol sounds good, but iirc you have some horrendous taxes on the vehcle front.

IanA2
IanA2's picture

duplicate

IanA2
IanA2's picture

duplicate

cybernout10
cybernout10's picture

Well you win some you loose some...you have cheap cars but expensive petrol and hourly chrage for servicing. Some call it trade protectionism. You charge heavy insurane for jap car to discourage buying, we do the same for importd cars. Your paper costs 1-1.50 pounds ours also 1-1.50 ringgit malaysia. your average pay is 3-5000 quids same here except in ringgit. Happy living...

Back to serious matters..is the g wagon a relaible vehicle or is a status symbol for tarmac crawlers?

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture

No mistaking, it is a serious vehicle, very liked by army.

It is liked in by the civilian market except civilian tastes want more power.

The 230's may seem under powered but surprisingly they are nipper in urban driving compared to the 280's but not recommended for long journeys or touring.The engine is over worked under those conditions.

The 280's makes for an excellent touring vehicle, but thirsty.

The 300 diesel is a good work horse but slow and slower still on long hills and poor for overtaking hence, requires a driver with a patient temperament or one who is good in planning journeys to reach destinations in good time and keep to it.  

cybernout10
cybernout10's picture
Is the 230 and 280 engines similar to w123 and w116/126 model ..if so there are plenty of them here. Worried there might be some difference because of the transfer gears.
prwales
prwales's picture

essentially the same engines but the 280ge is retuned for torque so gives out only 150 bhp compared to 185 bhp in w107 or w123 form, whilst the 230ge loses 10 bhp over its saloon counterpart

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_M110_engine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_M102_engine

these are Wikipedia links but if you use Google they will most likely be blocked

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture

I concur with prwales, all engines used in the G-Wagens are of slightly less compression ratio, as our member has mentioned the re-tuning torque is for offroading driving. But as these vehicles spend a majority of the time on road, the saloon engine transplants are not a problem. For those of you wanting to offroad, the saloon engines still cope with moderate terrains.

It may be for the extreme offroaders a lack of torque may be noticeable and a disadvantage to have. I do know for certain the earlier G-Wagens including W463 with the M104 engine and OM602 engine are detuned, I have not checked figures on the latter G-Wagens, the likes of G320s, G500, G400 etc. but I expect them to be no different.

cybernout10
cybernout10's picture
Are these equivalent engines a direct drop in or need casing adaptors for transfer case.
cybernout10
cybernout10's picture
Have seen similar issues when trying to convert a 4 speed to 5 speed in nissan patrol.
Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture

Not all engines fit the bill. The people who do conversions here are loyal to the Mercedes Benz brand and largely choose Mercedes power plants and gear boxes to mate with each other. There is a particular choice to be made, the main consideration is on which side the starter motor sits. Of those engines and gearboxes that mate up, Thankfully, these match up and no convertor plate or piece is needed. Oh, the transfer box is seperately mounted and connected by a propellor shaft.

There is however, a lot of work needed to convert engines and gear box, lots to consider; an article on this subject will be coming out in about four weeks time, keep an eye on it.

cybernout10
cybernout10's picture
As these are rear wheeldrives propellor shaft length my vary in engine and gearboxes of different sizes. Correct me if I may be wrong. Cos I am still hunting for 5 speed box with correct shafts for my Patrol.
cybernout10
cybernout10's picture

New pics of the vehicle.  230G

cybernout10
cybernout10's picture

More pics of 230G.

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture
Cybernout,

OK some simple questions:
Will it go on road/off road?
What attracted you to the G in the first place, your current motor is not a bad selection?
How much will you put into the purchased G to 'bring up to spec'?

Pistonhead as well as PRwales have provided you with some great pointers, I am sure we have a G member in Malaysia - Andy Tandean - try PM'ing him as he has a 300 (in Black) I think and does some serious off roading - if you do a search you can find some of his posts/pictures.

What can one say about the G? - its very difficult as it is a unique vehicle, if your buying for the 'pose' factor then any of the three would do, I would suggest going with the one that needs the less work. If however your going for a serious off roader that you want to keep - then the 300GD as you can then do the 606a swap out when you are bored of the slow, smelly, smokey engine. My advice would be to hunt around for a nice, clean smelling G500, best of all worlds: fast, powerful and stylish, less agricultural and one gets a sense of 'Yes I AM better than you' when one pulls up next to a LAdnrover or some other 4x4!wink

Seriously, the G has been adopted by over 95 of the world countries military, as its is one of the last truly hand built cars. It has been built to last, and like most valuable cars the ownership average is about 9+ years, so a serious investment.

Regarding prices - you have not indicated if you are a dealer or private, seeing that you got access to them in storage, you either have the correct contacts or are just very lucky. I would say first check that they have not been stolen. A number of cars have ended up from the UK in areas like yours. Second as posted no more than £1,500 tops. All of them will need serious work doing to bring them back up to spec and it is not for the faint hearted! and third welcome to the GWOA we hope that you have enjoyed the information provided this far!?

HTH
Spider1V
cybernout10
cybernout10's picture

More pics of the 230G

cybernout10
cybernout10's picture

Pic of the 280G.

BTW I am not a dealer. Am new to MB wagon. My only experience with MB is my curren  2 door coupe only. Need advise on which car would require the least work done.

prwales
prwales's picture

look for rear 3/4 rust in all of them, the interior is a good indicator of how a vehicle has been looked after, that should give you a very clear answer

cybernout10
cybernout10's picture

More pics of the 280 and 300GD

amirh
amirh's picture

Avoid it. Conditions quite bad. You'll need a lot of money to make it roadworthy. I think this model is very rare in Malaysiya (problems for spares) unlike here in Europe.

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture

I have looked at the photos as you requested on my PM. Let me re-iterate my caution to you. My views are only my opinion and based evidence on photos and in the absence of first hand information. My advice is against choosing a vehicle which you have not had professionally inspected or test driven.

I feel the price is high based on market prices here in the UK for conditions of vehicles. Neither, the GWOA or myself can be held liable for any wrong advice we may unintentionally give. The views I present are based on the visual evidence you have shown.

You have two SWB and one LWB; although both give a good ride, all things being well, in comparison the LWB give a smoother ride than the SWB.

If you are a family member with young children; it can be cumbersome to let them in and out of the vehicle. In particular if the child is a baby, it is more awkward to put baby seat in and out of the rear seat. Vehicles pre 1984 did not have central locking which is very much a must for creature comfort.

The 230GES (SWB) is clearly off my list of any suggestion, it has too much body rot in the rear panels and is general a rough looking vehicle. Cost to restore any vehicle in this condition will be high. Generally, a good urban vehicle, nippier than a 280GE but a poor touring vehicle.

The best presented vehicle is the 300GDL (LWB) but a slow vehicle, can easily bottoms out on extreme offroading and great for a large family, the kids love sitting in the rear. My second choice is the 280GES.

In all cases you DO need to have the vehicles fully inspected and tested. Let me run through the negatives of these. Exhausts systems of all these models have a high initial outlay, to replace the whole system. But the system does last between 6 to 10 years and spreading the out lay over this period makes the system no more the dearer than any other vehicle.

The fuel tanks can be an issue. Metal tanks are no longer available and the plastic replacement and fitting kit can take the bill up to £1400. The rear coil can break top and bottom and can be easily missed on inspection; best checked out with vehicle body jacked up and of course supported by axle stands before any one considers crawling under the vehicle.

Prop. shafts need to be checked for excessive joint wear and vibrations whilst running the vehicle, there are three prop shafts in the drive train and on average each new shaft is some £900 new. In the last five years or so a new weakness is showing up in the older G-Wages and that is chassis corrosion in particular at the rear top coil spring cups, these rot at the tubes the cups are welded to. Check for any bubbling in this area, the rot starts internally and works out. Repair parts are available and the new pieces welded in but does require some degree to lift the body off the chassis.

Have the front and rear diff locks tested out, if fitted. The front wheel bearings need to be checked out, any excessive play found means replacement bearings, adjusting the play out is no good. The bearings set(s) are some £300 and 5 hrs labour per side of axle. Radiator blockages can cost £500 replacement, cheaper to re-core. This should not an issue for you as I expect there would be lots of radiator repairs in your country. Worn wiper spindles can cost £130 to renew the part. So, this is why I am adamant of having the vehicle professionally inspected before you commit to any one of these vehicles. A long term standing vehicle can erode the fuel metering body internally, which can be over a £1000 to replace, so to see a properly running engine is crucial! Brakes can be seized after a long standing, tyres develop flat spots.

Despite the negative picture listed above, once the vehicle is up to scratch, these are one of the most reliable and effective offroaders provide they are maintained.

hus55
hus55's picture

just read the article and would have to agree with pistonhead. thelwb looks by far the tidier vehicle. and being a lwb much more versatile too.

a sprinter engine would be a the easiest solution for a much needed conversion in the future.

good luck

rgds hus

cybernout10
cybernout10's picture

Thanks for all your advice. Have decided to go for a Nissan Patrol instead because of ease of parts and cost.

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture

Sadly not a G-Wagen, given the selections available at the time to have had, I am sure this is a good choice. It is tidy looking, no doubt, reliable but how did it fare on price to the budget you wanted to spend on a G-Wagen? 

I do not have experience of Japanese off roaders but do tell us of it equipment level in terms of front or rear lock diffs, etc...

Happy Christmas.

cybernout10
cybernout10's picture
Its 2008 4.2 litre diesel 7 seater with 70km on the clock. No repairs to be done. Price same as 300GD asking. Full service history. After reading the nightmare repairs required for the G wagon...decided to switch to reality...
cybernout10
cybernout10's picture

As for the details, its got live front axle with front difflocks. it the most popular 4WD for Australian outbacks especially 4.2 engine. Please check patrol4x4.au for details

cybernout10
cybernout10's picture

Interior pics

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture

Very nice - ENJOY. Thank you for the photos.

Happy Christmas.

tony.bruegger
tony.bruegger's picture

Aaah - the engine that never dies !

The [ Datsun ] Nissan TD42 engine is one of the worlds great  engine families - not seen in europe since the 90's- I did'nt realise it was still produced for some markets

From little 2.3's [ vanette ] forklifts and trucktrailer 'fridge motors to the wonderful [ and rarely recognised as such ] TD27 turbo both manual and electronic from the Maverick / Terrano /Cabstar -the TD27 gearcam push rod engine is FAR superior to any Pajero / Trooper type engine and is widely used in West Africa as a transplant in Land rover / Range Rover vehicles and is good for 400.000 km's without a spanner

HOWEVER nothing except  MB603 and Toyota landcruiser 6's come near the TD42 dating from the early 80's Patrols for longevity

You cant beat a sweet 6 !

Except for a well set up MB 602 of course - my  new project is a 605 20 valve head on a low mileage 662 with big turbo ,7mm pump and fabricated manifolds - will post dyno results when done !

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture

You won't get better vindication than that, as Tony says; he knows what he is talking off. 

cybernout10
cybernout10's picture

You are absolutely right Tony. Anyway the United Nations cannot be wrong in purshasing them. ......thats where the car is coming from.

peter perfect
peter perfect's picture

very sensible decision 

cybernout10
cybernout10's picture

Currently have an older model of the Patrol called MK its 2.8L and 6 cylinders, petrol, has done a total of 360,000km.