300GD Exhaust route - advice/thoughts please

7 replies [Last post]
Simon666
Simon666's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Hi..
My G exhaust is getting tired - and the garage cut the end off to get rid of the corrosion, which means it now passes fumes into the body when stood and as I have the injector set to overfuel it gives off plenty!

Always one to look at problems as an opportunity I seem to recollect that you can route the exhaust out of the drivers side and omit the final back box, so some advice please.

Is this sensible - I know the 300 GD is slug, but I guess it will not makes things worse - I am assuming removing a box might be a marginal improvement? Will it become horiffically noisy - it's an every day drive so I don't want to resort to earplugs. Might it impact on the MOT?? as it is due. Although it is an 1985 it does have a (replacement) plastic tank, so I know there is some benefit to not having your exhaust routed over it, but the heat shield is in place so that is not a reason to re-route

I have someone who can do this, I just want to be informed before I let then loose.

Any advice/comments greatfully recieved.

Simon

Ian.
Ian.'s picture
Re: 300GD Exhaust route - advice/thoughts please

Simon, 

I side exited my exhaust on the drivers side-  completely ruined my G.  Went from being a nice quiet cruiser to a noisy nuisance.  Exit the exhaust as far from your ears as possible especially  if its for dailly use!!!  No impact on MOT (with de-cat).  Rear exit the exhaust at all cost- if I could have i would have done but it was a 463.  

Ian

mjkirk
mjkirk's picture

Hi Simon
                    One of my 460 diesel lwb's has a side exit exhaust. The rear section has been removed in front of the axle, at the back of the main silencer, and a piece made to go up and over the chassis, there is a suitable gap below the body to allow for this, then down again on the outside, and out at about side step level. There is a bracket mounted to the tubular chassis member infront of the wheel with a large exhaust clamp to support the tailpipe. I bought it like this, so can't make a direct comparison, but I'd say it's a bit noisier than standard, but mine is turbo'd so it sounds good. I intend to do a similar job on the other one as and when I need to. Hope this is of help, Mick.

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

Hello Simon,

To address your fumes, I would suggest to extend the cut part of your exhaust, by adding those tail pipe extensions most Japanese cars have.  Omission of the rear silencer will make the noise a little louder than standard but just about bearable.  You can test this out.  When you are ready to replace the system, just cut the exhaust before the rear silencer and run your engine, this will give you an idea on how noisier it is like to get.  Allow for the noise to muffle slightly, when a straight pipe is fitted.

Cheers,

landcruiser
landcruiser's picture

I recently had a system made and fitted that follows the original route, I am very happy with it ! the car is quiet and I thought the price reasonable.
It has had a couple of slightly negative comments from people on this site saying it should exit on the drivers side etc and I am sure this is easy to get done and probably even cheaper due to less run of pipe and silencers required. It also looked a bit bright when it was new (Stainless) personally I liked the change from the old rusty one.

landcruiser
landcruiser's picture

Sorry I dont know why it keeps posting twice !

bigblock
bigblock's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

I had this stainless steel single box system made for my 300GEL which exits on the drivers side. 

It is very loud  and makes people turn round and look when you drive by. My wife refuses to drive the G because of this, that is the only benefit to this system.

Simon666
Simon666's picture

Many thanks for the replies...

Looks like rear exit might be the best ear saving option then! On further inspection it looks like the main run has life left in it and it is just the very rear that has gone, so it looks like a bit of a grinder and welder solution is called for..

Thanks again for the views

Simon