300GD gearbox problems

6 replies [Last post]
jaipaul
jaipaul's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Hi

I have a problem with my gearbox on my 87 300gd the box changes perfectly if I only use 1 to 4 and reverse but if I change into 5 I then can not change down to a lower gear it seems to happen after you have been in 5 for more than a few miniutes once i force it into a lower gear again (more by luck than judgement) it will change perfectly again untill I forget and change inti 5 ??? any ideas anyone im at my wits end

Thanks
Paul

fixwin38
fixwin38's picture
Re: 300GD gearbox problems

Hi Paul
Get the set of rubber bushes from MB for the control rods and lever ends (about GBP 25 + ) replacing  them is easy fine adjustment can be time consuming.  make sure you put the retaining clips on the right way.....

jaipaul
jaipaul's picture

HI Fixwin

Thanks for the quick reply. Does anyone have the relevent part of the manual to help me adjust the linkages ??

Thanks

Paul

fixwin38
fixwin38's picture

Hi Paul
because of age and wear within the Gearbox / gear selector lever it is really a case of  minimal adjustments until it all works..sometimes just replacing the bushes does  the trick....or you can fumble at it for a while ....the jamming is caused by a rod end going "overcentre" creating a mechanical lock.... 

jaipaul
jaipaul's picture

Hi Fixwin

Once again thanks I will order up the bushes monday and give it a go. While I'm there I think I'll change the gearbox oil is it true its ATF like I've been told ?

Thanks again

Paul

fixwin38
fixwin38's picture

Hi Paul
yes! ATF is correct.....you might want to do a clean and lube job on the Gear lever  selector slide mechanism under the centre console to finish off the project...

jaipaul
jaipaul's picture

thanks fixwin

Bushes should come by this weekend so thats me in the cold !!! worth it though thanks for all your help

Paul