460 rear disc conversion

8 replies [Last post]
Mr E
Mr E's picture

Hi Guys,

I want to convert the rear drums on my 84' Diesel 460 to disc, I'm sure I've read some where that Sprinter discs fit, can anyone confirm this and if it is true what model or year to get them off.

Cheers muchly

Mark.....

fixwin38
fixwin38's picture
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: 460 rear disc conversion

hi
What for ???
the 460 diesel does not have any problems with the existing braking arrangement
   ( if serviced correctly)  
and certainly does not warrant the expense of discs all round ......

IanA2
IanA2's picture

I'm interested too. I want discs for when my 300GES is turbo'd. I had understood that MB do a conversion kit. But if sprinter parts would do I'm guessing that would be a lot cheaper.

fcp
fcp's picture

I have heard of people doing a sprinter rear disc conversion, but I think it was in the context of a vehicle for off-road use (I seem to remember problems with handbreak and MOT). Is that what you were planning to do with the vehicle?

Otherwise, Orc do make a rear disc conversion for the 460, but I know of one person in the UK who went to the time and expense (they are around £2500 if I remember correctly) and concluded they were actually worse for general (i.e non race/ serious offroad use) - he took them off again if I remember the post (here, or pointed 3 if you search).

IIRC, drum brakes are much better for holding static loads (on a slope for example) which is why they are so often used in this kind of context.

Further, as Peter says (Fixwin) the 460 rear brakes are actually extremely effective when adjusted correctly (common problems include seized slaves). 

What was it about the drums that you don't like particularly?

As an aside - One thing people do often overlook is that when they change tire size (going up ususally), often the brake proportioniong valve spring should also be changed to avoid the incorrect amount of brake effort being applied when loaded.

fcp
fcp's picture

Update: search on clubwagen.com for 'SuperG project' - one of the very experienced members here is working on a pickup conversion that does indeed use the sprinter parts to convert.

The issue I remembered re. hydraulic HB, isn't actually  issue (I can't remember the detail of what I read now anyway), so all doable by the looks of things, though some enhineering still required.

Mr E
Mr E's picture

The reason for converting is for better off road performance. I don't have to worry about the hand brake as I'm going to use the transmision brake that comes with the Isuzu gearbox.

Mark...

tony.bruegger
tony.bruegger's picture

Correct..properly seviced and adjusted 460 drums are excellent and give best h/brake performance.Also 80% of braking is done by front discs [science]
Error...VITO parts with caliper h/brake are only sensible route for 460. SPRINTER parts will not work or physically fit.

Check...Axels Super G posts on clubwagen forum...he is doing it as an engineering exercise. PS this is A levels !

mortinson
mortinson's picture

You don't need to spend stupid money in a disc conversion... my Spanish colleagues have come up with two very ingenious setups, both cheap and cheerful. Let the Germans spend two and a half grand at ORC but that's not for me.

The only drawback of these conversions is that you lose the ABS and thus it is not recommended for 463s... but 460s can get all the benefits of disc breaking. One of the conversion entails turning the driveshaft on a lathe so I will concentrate on the other one instead given that it is plug and play. This is a translation of his posting in the Spanish G forum:

I fitted rear discs to Grasshopper, it is plug and play, it took us some 6 hours but just because we had to improvise ....

First the parts:
Callipers from Nissan Almera/Primera
Discs from Ssangyong Actyon
10 mm thick steel plate cut according to template

Pictures of the job:

The callipers are fitted as if mirrored: the LH one in the RHS and the RH in the LHS. this facilitates greatly the fitting of the parking brake cables

To get the calliper perfectly centered with the disc you must supplement with 3 washers between the caliper and the bracket.

The advantage of these discs is that they are 14 mm thick and they can be used with Almera/Primera callipers. GWagen discs are 15 mm thick so that they will not fit in these callipers. 

Total cost of parts: about one hundred Euros (scrapyad callipers, new discs and pads, some lenght of brake line, half a litre of DOT4+ brake fluid)

tony.bruegger
tony.bruegger's picture

Very nice this is too !!

The only point Axel wd make is that he prefers to use 'family' parts and the Vito parts have provided an elegant solution.