460 twin brake line to single conversion

7 replies [Last post]
gib
gib's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Both of my front calipers are us . Can you convert to single line? as i can get hold of these easier and cheaper

What parts are required? 
Has any one BTDT

fixwin38
fixwin38's picture
Re: 460 twin brake line to single conversion

Hi Gib
you can get exchange callipers of both types from www.internationalbrakes.com for around GBP 80 per side....

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

The twin lines are designed for split circuit braking.  The single line obviously was not. Hence, this conversion is not recommended.

From an Insurance stand point, should an incident occur, the Insurance company will have their get out clause to reject liability of the claim.

fixwin38
fixwin38's picture

Hi Gib
the Part numbers for the callipers from brakes international are 34800 single pipe and 34801 dual pipe ..the last price I bought them at was GBP 88 = vat each

Track-Smart
Track-Smart's picture

Coversion to single line cancels fail safe and reduces braking efficiency by about 30%.

stig
stig's picture

Why would it reduce efficiency?

gib
gib's picture

Thanks for the comments.
I have got hold of 2 perrot single line calipers which I have stripped for all the usefull parts.
My original calipers have been stripped wet blasted and reassembled using the new pistons and seals.

As for the comments on safety the single line can use a std split diagonal circuit as used in 90 % of all circuits so no safety concerns at all. As stated above how can you lose 30 % efficency The calipers are single circuit twin entry with internal balance the Master cylinder is twin acting and would stay twin acting so where do you get a 30% loss??????

Any way complete rebuild for 48 quid for 2 new calipers with pads around 8-10hrs for the full job.

1 Nackered nipple (oohh err) which was drilled to base and then chased other wise smooth sailing.

Rear axle nearly sorted new shoes being sorted this week approx 65 quid for a reshoe in Bristol. Only issue was eurocar not supplying a gasket in the 2nd wheel bearing kit so i had to make my own Why do they always promise so much and deliver so little?????

Any how next parts are front axle bearings and roller paint job

Gib lowering the tone not my bank balance.

Track-Smart
Track-Smart's picture

I must have misunderstood your original question, I understood it to read "convert existing twin feed calipers to single feed" However I now see what you intended was to replace existing twin feed calipers with single feed. your mod is replicating that fitted to many old MB commercials. so shouldnt be a problem at all, 
Does such a mod  require a vehicle re-examination in the UK.  In the rest of EU, tuv would give you a stack of paper work.