461 long wheel base 5 speed manual 290GD vibrations

8 replies [Last post]
Himmat
Himmat's picture

Have a problem with vehicle vibration on my longwheel base 461 chassis 5 speed manual transmission G wagon - have checked wheel bearings, engine mounts, tyres, tie rod joints, and front shockers which seem to be fine.  Then moved to check the propeller shafts.  The transfer case to rear differential prop shaft was dismantled and found to be ok however the front prop shaft from gear box to transfer case is make a noise on rotating.  I suspect a damaged cross.  I have read on earlier forums that cross assemblies (GKN) are available separately so I dont need to change complete prop shaft which is an expensive proposition.  Please let me know from where I can get this prop shaft cross?

stig
stig's picture
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: 461 long wheel base 5 speed manual 290GD vibrations

These people have them:

http://www.baileymorris.co.uk/

They are made by INA and can be found at other suppliers if you search.

Cheers

Himmat
Himmat's picture

Are all the crosses same? (for all the prop shafts : basically there are six crosses ( 2 for prop shaft between transfer box and gear box, 2 for prop shaft between transfer box and front differential and 2 for prop shaft between transfer box and rear differential.)  I spoke with bailey morris and they said as per their information there is only one design cross which is used in all the prop shafts.  JUST NEEDED RECONFIRMATION BEFORE ORDERING!  Attached is the photo of the cross sent to me by Bailey Morris.

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

Bailey Morris can advice you there, although I do not know for definite, I have no reason to suppose they would be different.

stig
stig's picture

As far as I know, they are all the same, well I know they are on a 460, not sure about your 461, but probably, does that help? Any way, if you're only doing the front prop shaft, you shouldn't have any problems. Cheers

Himmat
Himmat's picture
Purchased new crosses from Bailey Morris .... However after fitment vibration problem persists!!! Any solutions?
JASONGDS
JASONGDS's picture

I know this may sound obvious but any wheel balancing issue's? Are tyres ok? No bulges etc?

LEEU
LEEU's picture

Every time I've had vibrations on a G it turned out to be the steering damper. Try replacing it with a heavy duty Disco II one, cheaper, better and lasts longers than the standard MB one. This is a very common problem, and easy and cheap to fix.

Hope I am ritght. 

nedvaughan
nedvaughan's picture
Thanks for that info head