463 ABS light on

9 replies [Last post]
JASONGDS
JASONGDS's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Can anyone help with this?
My ABS light on all the time, turning ABS off makes no difference as in past it would reset itself if you did that. Previoulsy fitted two new sensors which made light go out but the brake pedal always judered( as in abs kicking in ) when not neccesery. I beleive dirt on sender can cause this? Looked at wires they all look ok? Any ideas where to start?  I presume MOT failure with light on all the time?

garwell11
garwell11's picture
Re: 463 ABS light on

Mine had a dodgy switch in the control panel, and it showed on all the time,  When i disconnected the switch it would go off.  If its this it is a real pain as Merc dont make that switch anymore.  They list one as a replacement but it aint the same and didnt work properly. managed to get one now though and it all works fine.  just a thought 

JASONGDS
JASONGDS's picture

Thanks for that. I am trying a s/h  relay before going trying awitch. Though I doubt I will be that lucky. MOT time soon, tempted to remove it.

bigblock
bigblock's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

Hi Jason, a fault with the over voltage protection relay can cause the ABS light to stay on without there actualy being any problem with the ABS system.
The OVP relay is behind the fuse box on a 463, see photo.

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture

Hello JASONGDS,

I have three URL addresses for you to read, regarding the testing of your ABS sensor.  The third, is the actual page from where the first, two addresses have been selected.  Go through, which ever you feel.  Basic information is to test for continuity of the sensors, check to see if all the sensors have almost or equal readings, if any one is different, it may indicate a faulty sensor, otherwise it is a question of getting the actual data, which I do not have, but this can be got from M/Benz service and parts portal from their WIS (workshop information system), this will cost €4.00 for an hour's access to the site.

http://www.ohmcheck.com/abssensor.htm

http://www.topbuzz.co.uk/maintenance/testing_abs/testing_abs.htm

http://searcht.aol.co.uk/aol/search?enabled_terms=&s_it=aoluk-homePage50...

JASONGDS
JASONGDS's picture

Hi
Thanks for this, unfortunately new over voltage relay made no difference. So will look into continuity test.

jantie
jantie's picture

I have a 300 G D cabrio 1990 and i have the exact same problem with my G. When the ABS is switched of i can brake normal, without ABS. If i put the ABS switch on, the pedal gets hard and pulsates(that sounds kinda dirty, lol) and braking is almost impossible unless you take your foot off and brake again.
Mercedes checked the whole system and they said, after paid 300 euro for a simple job, that i had to change ALL the sensors. Costs around 2000 euro. I cant believe that because of a faulty sensor the car gets so dangerous that you can not brake. It has to be something else. Did you ever find out what the problem is? I want to find it out because i restored the cabrio to almost new and want to keep it till they can bury me in it.

Thanks,

Jantie

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture

Is your ABS  on or not, on the other thread you say, as you do here that you have an exact fault as the first thread in each post reports, well the first thread did not mention any light on, this thread reports a light on. So what is with your case?

Has your issue been resolved with the renewal of the sensors?

bigblock
bigblock's picture

Hi Jantie

Instead of resurrecting three old threads on this subject you would be better served by creating a new topic so that any assistance from members can be concentrated in the one thread. 

JASONGDS
JASONGDS's picture

Mine was a duff front sensor, easy enough to check resistance using a mulit meter as they unclip just on the inner wing, though they are hard to separate. I think rear sensors have different readings/tolerances to front? Though in my case it was obvious as no reading what so ever on the front duff one. Removing the hexagon headed bolt that holds sensor in , took ages as 20 years of mud/road dirt had corroded head completely, chisel was the only option!