463 Heater Removal???

2 replies [Last post]
JASONGDS
JASONGDS's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

I need to remove heater unit on mine to get access to weld repair panel into bottom of windscreen.
Can anyone tell me the correct procedure to remove the heater unit, or does the top half of the heater separate in situ ( the vent that feeds the fresh air/central vents) it looks like it is rivted in, which I am sure I could remove in situ but not renew.

fcp
fcp's picture
Re: 463 Heater Removal???

Having just done a whole dash-out and replacement of blower, core and heater casing (see here http://www.gwoa.co.uk/forum/so-explains-why-my-dash-was-full-dust-discovered-when-replacing-heater-core-and-moto ) this is quite current in my mind however *caveat* this was on my 460, I don't know how different the 463 is bedind the scenes.

I don't think you will manage to seperate the upper and lower casings with them in-situ (the rivets are easily drilled but there isn't the access and the casing is quite easy to break. Even if you could overcome rivets, getting the thing apart and out would be impossible I would guess.  Best to remove the whole blower/ core assembly in one piece.

The first thing is that despite everyone saying its a 8-9 hour job, I don't think (on the 460 at least) it is. I reckon it could actuall be  done in 2-3. That said, it is quite fiddly and will definitely be easier if you take the seats and central console out first (again don't know how involved that is on a 463).

The guide I used was on the clubwage.com site and was easy to follow. http://www.clubgwagen.com/gtech.php?pageTitle=tech%20article&sid=item&tid=35

The one concern I'd have - knowing what it looks like behind there, is that just removing that part of the casing wouldn't be sufficient to allow welding in that area. There's an awful lot of very melt-able plastic in the vicinity. Whe I'd seen that repair done in pictures, it has always been with the complete dash out. That said, others here will be better informed on this than I am; perhaps it is possible.

Good luck.

JASONGDS
JASONGDS's picture
Re: 463 Heater Removal???

Thanks , its similer to a 460 but worse! Luckily no Air Con to get in the way.:
Remove Steering Wheel, Instrument panel, dashboard top,
woodstrip, central pane ( around gearlever etc) remove radio, heater fan switch, then you should be able to take out middle panel that houses switches, disconnect all switches, remove sides of dash, then centre dash, radio bracket then the two heater supports, a bit simplified but thats about it, now have to re install!