463 Wheel Bolts

4 replies [Last post]
tombo
tombo's picture

Can anyone help? On a 463 series 300GD (non arched) are the bolts to the Steel wheels (6J x 16 H2) usable on alloy wheels  of exactly the same size. Part numbers are identical and length is fine, but advisories on web sites suggest that steel bolts should not be used on Alloys as the sealing ridge exists. But on trying bolts with Alloys, this does not get close to the wheel bolt indent . Thanks Tombo

M2dxb
M2dxb's picture
Re: 463 Wheel Bolts

Hi, if by "websites" you mean Harald's below, then he normally knows what he is talking about with regards to Gs and 4x4s (his section on wheels is also great reading):
http://www.rubicon-trail.com/G-Class/wheels/bolts.html

They're not too dear to replace. Another way to check is to slide a bolt into the wheel while it is off the car, and see how much of the threaded portion shows through - this might be different between steel and alloy wheels.

fixwin38
fixwin38's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Hi Tombo
Bolts for alloy wheels are longer than those for steel wheels** note too long and they will foul the shoes in the back brakes and axle castings on the front....I use a set of narrow steel wheels for snowy/icy conditions  and have two different length sets of bolts....

mortinson
mortinson's picture

Agree with fixwin. When I bought my G300D it has a steel spare (similar to all four wheels factory fitted to the G) and four similarly sized alloys, but the bolts for these were too long for the spare.

tombo
tombo's picture

Thank you all for your advices and links. Most helpful. Tom