G300 CDi Professional no longer available in UK

31 replies [Last post]
Rick Byrne
Rick Byrne's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Mercedes-Benz UK has pulled the plug on the G300 CDi Professional.  It is no longer possible to order one.  A total of one vehicle was sold in the time that it was available.  Meanwhile, we see its introduction to other RHD markets, including South Africa, Australia, Hong Kong and Indonesia.

I picked up that there is a specification change from 1 July 2011 from the German 4x4 website www.viermalvier.de

The Google translation is as follows:
"Information about the new model year of the Professional (BR 461) is slowly coming to light (sorry, no pictures). What I had thought unimaginable becomes reality, a posh package is optionally available, and many others with black rear windows, chrome running board and leather seats. Fortunately, there is not a standard feature. But first things first:

Basics (Unless stated otherwise, for station wagon):

- The van is no longer built after October 2011.

- A passenger airbag is now standard here, he is placed on the existing instrument panel in a separate enclosure. It follows, incidentally, that the reading light is now mounted plug. The airbag is not deactivated, it may therefore be no child seats mounted vr

- GVW chassis now 3200 (instead of 3500). This gives the station wagon a "more comfortable at the same time, reduced vehicle chassis height. This results in a lower position for the trailer hitch (optional) and an increase in towing capacity to 3,500 kg. The previous GVW 3500 with reinforced suspension is optionally available. "

- Rear protective devices with performance (even with 2-piece rear wing doors)

- EC type-approval now for chassis / house with / without pallet, instead of previous special permit, special permit other bodies continues

- The basic price for the station wagon is lifted to 1,680.00 EUR plus VAT

- Added new Unilackierungen to:
- Deep Orange
- Flame red
- Fir green

- It is still lacking
- Xenon Light
- Cruise control

The following special equipment will also be included:
G50 Provision for winch (back)
LB0 White indicators
W72 rear door and cargo space darkened windows
XP7 GVW 3500

ZQ5 posh package consisting of:
EF2 radio audio 10
VV2 hold wood floor
SP3 seat upholstery leather black
H10 Heated front seats
Q50 AHK
I93 AT tires with alloy wheel
LB0 White indicators
D46 Dackgepäckträger very dark gray
xxx Differentiated grille (chrome-MB-star)
W72 dark rear windows
F59 bonnet walkable
FP1 Visibility Pack
Q58 coupling foot forward
T84 side running boards
G50 Provision for winch
xxx chromite black metallic paint, Flint Grey, palladium silver or periclase

The prices for the optional extras are unchanged, except for a slight increase in the alloy wheels (silver or black makes no difference). From the ZQ5 are NOT available individually: EF2, SP3, D46, T84. ZQ5 supplement is 8,500.00 EUR net."

Note that production of the G300 Professional Kastenwagen ends in October 2011.

phileas
phileas's picture
Re: G300 CDi Professional no longer available in UK

Maybe they should pull the plug on their sales team spec sheet instead and tell them something more in tune with what possible owners want to hear. When I tested the new G (admittedly a 463) at our local dealer, the salesman was completely clueless as to what the difflocks did, how much it could tow, what the wading depth was, etc, etc,

....very dissapointed!......ph

peter perfect
peter perfect's picture

shock, horror. I mean who at MB thought this would be a seller here, at that sort of money. LMAO

peter perfect
peter perfect's picture

that goes for any MB salesmen selling any MB 4x4. the customer hasn't bought it for its off road capabilities 

leo
leo's picture

Yes indeed, I had just started a 15 year savings plan. Looks like I will just have to soldier on in the old 460. 25 years young and still going (fairly) strong!

Leo

Rick Byrne
Rick Byrne's picture

A nice SA TV review of the G300 Professional - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jrAhbTKqqc&feature=related

A child allowed to drive one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY6t5Mp6emA&feature=related

Showing the need for diff-locks - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBL2uGcrBao

... and driven off road - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU-V3xnBels&NR=1

LEEU
LEEU's picture

They should never have been built for the civilian market, I didn't say this before, because it is a members car, but I dropped one on its side against a tree about a month ago because they are rubbish when taken on a serious off road trip.

Non-responsive, and then the next moment that bloody big turbo kicks in and the auto box does what it should, make the car shoot forward and you have to climb out of a window and run 6 miles to fetch a proper car to pull it back onto its wheels again. Then you cant start it, have to make sure there is no oil on the pistons......

You would be better off buying a Transit for work.

peter perfect
peter perfect's picture

You put a members car on it's side, tell us more, how is it different stability wise than any other g wagen ?

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture

after all the threats you gave me to keep quiet! (LOL). I think we should have a space for you at the AGM so you can tell us what really happened......???

Spider1V

mark
mark's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

Turbo lag can be a bit of a pain, but I've never heard of it sending the truck 6 miles down the road.  ;-)

Love the last video, anybody that puts Black Sabbath and the Bee Gee's in the same video needs hanging.

LEEU
LEEU's picture

Spider - thanks for keeping quite for so long

Peter - The car is amazing to drive on the road, and even on rough ground where most people would seriously think twice about going in, but the problem comes with extreme stuff. The car I drove was a PUR, it has a suspension lift, but not with springs, rather spacers. This means higher gravity center, without any additional wheel travel. The car also have an extra "anti-roll-bar" on the rear, which limits wheel travel even more. The car does not feel too unlike a 55 off road, apart from more ground clearance. The wheels loose contact with the ground real quick, and without the diff locks it would be rubbish. All in all for an expedition car it would be great, but it is not a toy, and I wouldn't take it anywhere serious. (For those who know me, serious for me is pretty serious)

Mark - The engine is hard to describe, it is not really a turbo lag, I bought a new  Navarra a few years back, but took it back because of the massive turbo lag. If it was a manual it would have been fine, it is more a lack of accurate control than a just a turbo lag. It is difficult to creep forward 2 inches when on a steep bank - I hope this makes sense. I am a massive auto fan for off-roading, but I have always had petrol autos, and with this diesel it just doesn't work for me.

After driving it for just over an hour I started knowing the car a bit, and realized it had some serious shortcomings. There was a ditch with a bank in front of it, the bank was about 2 feet high, and the ditch the same deep. I said the car can't go over there, a square on approach would see us being bottomed out, and the car is to top heavy for a angled approach. My mate wanted to try - so there we went. Easy does it, easy does it, almost there, just a bit more power ------------ FOKKKKKK The rest is history.

Would I buy one? No, but it would be great for expeditions, crap for work, not a lot of space compared to a Transit, and the only thing better than a LR 110 is the engine. If I needed a 4x4 van I would rather look at the Disco's. I have a strong suspicion the Disco will give the PUR a serious run for its money off-road.

I am still a great G fan, and although I bought a Touareg, my G will always be my serious car. What are my favorite G's? The 500 and the 463 diesel, in that order.

Ok, now I am ready to be slaughtered by those who disagree with me, or who think I don't know what I am talking about.

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture

Would have to agree on the 500 comment there! :)

Spider1V

LEEU
LEEU's picture

That is a 500 on propper wheels though!

shochu
shochu's picture

great videos i haven't seen
thanks for pointing them out  :)

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture

That is a 500 on propper wheels though!

What, like mine is now? lol

Spider1V

Brutus
Brutus's picture

Me, me, me!!!!!

fredecosse
fredecosse's picture

I am aware of only one 500 with proper wheels on ..   :-)

fredecosse
fredecosse's picture

I am still a great G fan, and although I bought a Touareg, my G will always be my serious car. What are my favorite G's? The 500 and the 463 diesel, in that order.

Ok, now I am ready to be slaughtered by those who disagree with me, or who think I don't know what I am talking about.

Who would want to drive a 463 tractor !!!!!!

peter perfect
peter perfect's picture

I remember you putting yours on its side, twice, you sure its not driver error 

Roly
Roly's picture

Fred
I'm still waiting your 16" Astaroth wheels

dentsmithy
dentsmithy's picture

Wheels wheels wheels - Hus55 will be along any moment now

Brutus
Brutus's picture

Hus55 has allready been along thats why Rolys still waiting !!!!!!!!!!! lol

hus55
hus55's picture

PROPER wheels for a 500 are 37x12.50x15 , [as fitted to my 500GES i recently sold. pics are on my facebook album. someone please upload them here to share what i mean]

and btw, attiks are much nicer than ashtroths.

fred also has a habit of keeping all his junk he collects for his G's....

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture

Yes and here it is....*sniff* Some of us like the subtle , non in your face, quiet, reserved approach... *sniff*

LEEU
LEEU's picture

Peter I'll just say I know how to climb out of o G's windows by now. Last time driver error maybe, but not this time.

peter perfect
peter perfect's picture
here what huss is on about

Here are before and after, some of you may remember this being completly renovated by the G centre in the Malverns. it then went down south and some rich bloke bought it, then it was up for salwe for some stupid price, hangs around for ages, then some how huss, as huss does, picks it up for a song, imports to cyprus, sticks some big boots on it, then a rotzlier winch and sells it, like huss does, but have to say huss always has nice G's.

phileas
phileas's picture

I had a drive in the PUR in Germany this summer albeit not serious offroad and also found that the wheels didn't travel a great deal. I didn't have an issue with turbo lag though. The car was empty.

All I can say is that I have also put stiffened +2" springs on both my 500 (which is also lifted) and 300TD to use for overlanding as I always load up. I also find when they are not loaded that they feel a little unwieldly and too stiff. However, once they've got 500kg of stuff in them, the cars behave very well (especially in 'serious' offroad situations) and become a lot more predictable.

By the way, I have exactly the same experience in my LR110 which also has H/D springs +2".  The big difference with my LR is that it doesn't have a roof rack (its got the 'pop-up' Carawagon roof) and you can really feel its extra agility in serious angle work. However, I found that having a roof rack actually lets you know much earlier on whether you're OK or not as you feel it lightening up and you can withdraw earlier before you get into the trouble. 

If only 463s had those floor plugs..............you've got to admit it, those are cool.

ph

peter perfect
peter perfect's picture

Can I ask why you had so many expedition vehicles !

phileas
phileas's picture

A bit of a hobby that got out of hand. It all started with a simple 110 ........ then I took the kids, we got more kids and the cars got bigger to accommodate them. After a few years, I tried to find what really works for us in terms of vehicle/camping gear/etc(mainly overlanding holidays/camping weekends for 5). My problem is that, having built the cars up, I wasn't very good at selling them as I put so many hours into them....hence the collection (which I trying to trim as I don't use some of them as much as I should).  I know this sounds frivolous, but I regret to say it is the truth! ....but, I think I've found my solution......ph

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture
Re: here what huss is on about

HO long ago was this ?

Please dont let Aero940 see this - he will cry!

Spider1V

fredecosse
fredecosse's picture

You sell on and regrets Huss ... 

hus55
hus55's picture

morning guys !

the G500 was as pp says. built by an enthusiast who then sold it on to g class centre . g class centre then did a body restoration job on it and put right was wrong. it was blue with grey dove interior but the young guy that brought it had it resprayed in black and had the interior trimmed in leather.

i got it from a sytner delear who hardly used it.

i was shocked at the power !!!!!! it was like driving a samurai with subura engine ! it demolished x5's x6's , rr sports, wranglers,

quite unbelievable, but so was the mpg....

after modifying it with 6.17 diffs , a body lift and various other things i fitted 37's which brought down the overgearing.
never went off road in it because i didnt want to damage anything cos of the power and ottoman blood in me !

anyway, it was part ex'd last week and i now re-own my cabrio i sold last year [like a muppet.]

fred your mate , we always regret somethings once its done. the v8 was a beast ! 

but i my cabrio is another class of G for me. totally rust free and almost 25 years old.

soory, i guys but i have so much to write here, and pics to post , but i am always finding trouble posting stuff.

it seems better recently . i will keep trying.