G300 Jammed Accelerator after kickdown

9 replies [Last post]
sjrobinson
sjrobinson's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

I have a 1998 G300 Automatic petrol vehicle which has completed 145000 miles. It has been mine for 12 years.
The car has a problem - after using kickdown to overtake a slower vehicle the car responds as expected - increased revs and speed but on completing the overtake and easing off on the accelerator the car speed does not reduce, the revs stay high (+4000) and the situation can only be corrected by moving the drive into neutral and braking to a standstill when the revs revert to normal and the car performs normally provided kickdown is not used. This is a very dangerous problem - can anyone help and advise?

fixwin38
fixwin38's picture
Re: G300 Jammed Accelerator after kickdown

Hi
check for worn/out of adjustment  throttle linkage...with the engine not running have somebody press the accelerator pedal and watch what happens in the engine bay ..if it is a 280 engine look at the brown nylon fitting on top of the rocker cover  this hardens with age and breaks which can cause erratic throttle action.....

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

Please check  your email.

gav.helme
gav.helme's picture

Hi

I am assuming (maybe wrongly) that the post should read a 1988 300GE? I thought a 1998 would be a G320? Anyway, just trying to identify which model we are on....not have a go!!!

Assuming its the 300 with the M103.987 engine straight 6 engine...

Aswell as the above posts, i seem to remember a small microswitch (A002 545 68 14) on top of the engine which was operated by one of the throttle linkages and had something to do with kick down cut off, post accelleration, they used to get hot and break down electronically or get gunked up and stop actuating.
They were a common switch in their day, used on the T1 van reverse light operation and the above on the M102, M103, M104 and M110 engines amongst other things....

Don't think they are mega bucks...

Could be wrong mind...

Cheers

Gav

sjrobinson
sjrobinson's picture

Gav

You would be perfectly entitled to have a go - you would expect me to know what car I have after all these years. I have always called it a G300 because that is what it says on the back door but on checking the registration documents the car is described as a 300GES AUTO with an engine capacity of 2962cc. It was first registered in October 1995 not 1998 that I listed.
Sorry for the misinformation - does the new correct information change the advice you gave me.

Stephen Robinson

gav.helme
gav.helme's picture

Hi, when you have had it 12 years, you are entitled to forget!!

1995 was the very last year you will get a G300 petrol

It is a 300GE S (SWB) but from 1994 they were all rebadged G300 inline with the MB range

Its probably a 1994 car not registered until 1995

But anyway, yes thats what i had thought it was anyway, its just a few years newer than i had thought...

If you send me your email by PM i can send you some pics of the throttle linkage etc....

Cheers

Gav

gav.helme
gav.helme's picture

The chassis number would help also...

bigblock
bigblock's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

On that year of 463 there is a micro switch under the throttle pedal that activates the kickdown when the pedal is fully depressed. Although I do not know if this switch could have some relationship with your current problem.

I take it that you have checked the obvious things like the throttle pedal is returning fully after being pressed and is not fouling on anything. Likewise checking that the throttle linkage in the engine bay is free and not getting stuck.

gav.helme
gav.helme's picture

I would say the micro switch is mounted on top of the Inlet Manifold between cylinders 4 and 5 just behind the Throttle Housing and Fuel Head close to where the Throttle Cable mounts. May be worth checking out and cleaning.

sjrobinson
sjrobinson's picture

Gav

My email is sjrob@blueyonder.co.uk - thanks for all the help.

Stephen