GD300 M2 1985 : Rear brakes rebuild

4 replies [Last post]
gib
gib's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Just about to collect the above and the main issue is a binding rear brake drum. I have used the search facility and can't find any details other than you used to be able to get :

Shoes: Relined or from ECP and GSF no numbers thou

Drums: Merc no numbers

Cylinders: ??? No supplier or numbers

Spring kit: ??? No suppliers or numbers

The only people i have spoken to are "The G-class center" and they are getting back to me with prices, again i have tried to use the search , are Gclass any good???

Any help and advice would be apreciated

fixwin38
fixwin38's picture
Re: GD300 M2 1985 : Rear brakes rebuild

Hi Gib  All parts are available from www.brakesint.co.uk tele 01706  666999 ..shoes can be relined if metal not corroded...adjusters and spring kits from MB.... give them the 17 digit vin / chassis starting WDB460............ when ordering  Just a point !!! the binding problem is more commonly due to siezed hand brake cables .....

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

Hi gib,

I agree with fixwin38's blog, additionally, binding could result with leaking hub seals.  Hub seals replacement entail in replacing the rear wheel bearings. Oil contamination can be cleaned off.  B/shoes can be re-lined by any good motor factors'.

Springs, you need only if broken or severely corroded.  Wheel cylinders are replaced if leaking or seized.  All parts are available from motor factors, they are quite capable to look up the part numbers, if provided with vehicle details or vehicle registration, depending on the factors working methods. The drums are only needed if excessively worn, deeply scored, deeply rusted or oval.

Cheers

gib
gib's picture

Thanks for speedy responses.

I have treid BI but only from a reg number and they could only find a cylinder at 13 quid a pop.  Chamberley ( mate works there) have droped the older 460 types from the system again based on reg. Will try some others once i have the vin.

Is it the MB602 van that shares the rear drum setup?

I have a couple of old Audis and a Saab and for them use Bentley an dwork shop manuals i have managed to get hold of. What are the best manulas or resources to use?

TIA

gib

fixwin38
fixwin38's picture

Hi Gib there is no problem getting the correct parts from MB using the vin/chassis number..only the price will make you think twice. the 200 series vans have commonality... I bought rear cylinders and drums fom BI 8 weeks ago along with front callipers and discs...