Koni HT vs Bilstein OEM shocks for 500GE W463

1 reply [Last post]
H1LM002G55
H1LM002G55's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

I am looking at the Koni HT Heavy Track SPX series shock absorbers for my 500GE and wanted to see if anyone has compared them to the OEM Bilstein shocks.

My 500 GE had a HWA (AMG) part number for the shocks. I contacted Bilstein and the HWA part number crosses over to the OEM Bilstein shocks that are on a normal G500. 

I understand the advantage to the Koni HT SPX series is that they are adjustable.

I drive on the street in South Florida and don't offroad. 

Thanks for any advice and experience. 

phileas
phileas's picture
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: Koni HT vs Bilstein OEM shocks for 500GE W463

Hi,

If you're not offroading the HT Koni shocks won't give you anything extra over the standard ones: they are stiffer dampers (marginally adjustable by the way: don't believe all that they tell you.....) which you give far better loading and towing capability over the standard shocks, especially if you're going off road.

I have fitted the Koni's and swear by them: but this is because we load a lot on the roof and tow off road. I don't think they are worth 4x the extra expense of the OEM shocks though if you're not going to go offroad. Maybe if you tow a heavy trailer, you may wish to consider the track raids, as opposed to the Heavy track raids, which are also a great damper for towing but not as expensive as the latter.

Good luck/Ph