New Steering Box ordered for 84 280GE

15 replies [Last post]
ToneThePhone
ToneThePhone's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Well I've picked up my Wagon from it's home in Wales and the sloppy drive home (coupled with a little reading here) has convinced me to order a new steering box at circa £3088 + VAT. I'll let you know if that stops it driving like a 1960s Caddy!

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members
Re: New Steering Box ordered for 84 280GE

Hello ToneThePhone,

It was very bold of you to go ahead and order a steering box. 

Several points here. Firstly, please DO not scrap your old unit; I would like you to store it for a time a re-conditioner can remanufacture this box.

Steering box replacement has not been heard of by my experience. Have you checked wheel bolt security, tyre pressures all round, for wheel bearing play, track rod and drag link end play, security of steering column UJs, one in the cab and the other by the steering box? Or control arm bush condition? All these can factor in a sloppy drive.

Please do check all of these before renewing your box.

Please report on these points and let us parley.

ToneThePhone
ToneThePhone's picture

Hi,

The track rods and drag links were recently replaced by the previous owner and are clearly visible. He also provided a load of MB receipts.

I don't know what the steering column UJs are but I'll definately get my mechanic to check these when he changes the steering box.

If the control arm bushes are big yellowish nylon washer type things they are clearly new.

It definately wasn't a tyre pressure or wheel nut issue as the steering wheel did move around several inches without effect. It was like a driving a big yanky sloppy sausage.

I think that the previous owner had tried changing everything including springs and dampers to avoid having to change the steering box.

I will save and offer for sale the old stuff to help fund the really costly bits which are yet to come. The engine is sweet but I want an original respray and new rubber strips, glass rubbers, etc.

Regards
Tony

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture

Thank you for your replyTony and welcome to the family of G-Wagen Owners. 

What wheel size are you running on?

ToneThePhone
ToneThePhone's picture

I'm not sure what the wheel sizes are but they are standard MB alloys that were specified extras at the original point of sale. As the engine, chassis & interior are so good I intend to keep everything standard.

montreal
montreal's picture

Tony. Try new FRONT control arm bushes from Mercedes 1st. I never changed these. Also new correct Merc front springs rears are new. Chassis number needed at mercs. Talk to Gav about parts.  Save some cash or lend me it for my new engine! Thats all it needs. Tweak the adjuster bolt once done and get some Konis. 

(I'm real) D

montreal
montreal's picture

He's on 15 inch alloys and standard pressures. 

gav.helme
gav.helme's picture

Does this happen to be Montreal's 280GE? (Mr Smith)

280ge

Astral Silver

7x15 alloys code R78

Gav

The real Montreal just left the building....posted just before me....

tony.bruegger
tony.bruegger's picture

The LS2 is a very fine commercial vehicle steering box used from the 1960's on - think 508 van etc

I have known two leak and once saw one fail because backlash adjuster was over tightened.

This design always has a small amount of free play which should NOT be adjusted right out

They are straight foward to rebuild

I have several which can be bought

bigblock
bigblock's picture

ToneThePhone wrote:

Well I've picked up my Wagon from it's home in Wales and the sloppy drive home (coupled with a little reading here) has convinced me to order a new steering box at circa £3088 + VAT. I'll let you know if that stops it driving like a 1960s Caddy!

Are you seriously going to spend £3750 on a steering box for a 1984 460 surprise

You need to have a chat with a few knowledgeable people on this site who will be able to solve your problems for a fraction of that price.  G ownership doesn't have to cost a fortune with the right help.

ToneThePhone
ToneThePhone's picture

I collected the new steering box today and hope to get it fitted tomorrow. I'm having it stripped down and quite a few things replaced for new MB parts including a few body panels.I've alreay got all of the regular service items like filters, belts, plugs but we're in stripping down mode at the moment. We're hoping to retain the original alternator by reconditioning. When we are happy with the mechanicals it is being stripped and fully painted in the original silver.

I'm not used to driving 2nd hand cars especially 30 year old ones so I want to make it like it was when it was new. I just see myself as the current custodian who will bear the costs of renovation instead of the usual depreciation. I like my vehicles to be "Bob on" so that I can enjoy their use and I'm currently migrating from one of these http://www.tonyraynor.co.uk/must-have-advice-for-british-drivers-in-france/

The steering box arrive in the most serious of wooden packing crates like a case of fine wine. Pictures tomorrow ....

Regards
Tony

ToneThePhone
ToneThePhone's picture

So it's called a steering box because it arrives in a box!

ToneThePhone
ToneThePhone's picture

This is what a brand new steering box looks like (not at all boxy)!

gav.helme
gav.helme's picture

Nice looking box...i didnt think i would ever see anybody buy one of these in the UK!!!

I hope you pushed the dealer for 20% discount!?!

Gav

ToneThePhone
ToneThePhone's picture

I have negotiated discounts with the dealer but didn't get 20%

ToneThePhone
ToneThePhone's picture

After 3 weeks in the workshop I have just driven the car on a motorway with its new steering box. The steering wheel is perfectly aligned now and the play is eliminated. I will send the old steering box for refurbishment when the renovation is finished and offer it for sale here at some point.

However I’m now critical of the sponginess at the front end so I will post separately about upgrading the shocks and springs for something more befitting of the road use that I will be using it for.