Recent G 500 info

9 replies [Last post]
lma12
lma12's picture

hi ,
i'm new on this forum ,
i like to know from G 550 / G 500 owner how much they are satisfied with theyr car , especially for what concern paved road behaviour,
cargo capability / versatility and comfort, i know this is is not a sport car or a sedan !! but jiust to know if someone has some complains for example about stering effcency , body roll on corner , noisy ...
Thanks and excuse for my not "perfect" English

Lorenzo

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: Recent G 500 info

Hi Lorenzo,

And welcome to the forum.

When you ask about the G550 do you mean the G55 or the new G500, that has a 5.5 ltr engine? I can say from owning mine a G500 - 2001) its been a brilliant car.  I would rate it as almost perfect fro my needs which are; Family car, lugging car, off road car and luxury car! - It fits so well, no strain on the motorway, solid build on both body and Engine. It does get noisy at over 110MPH but is sure footed as you can get in both wet, dry and snowy conditions. All passengers have nothing but praise for the driving comfort.

The 5.5ltr engine only comes in LHD models - at the moment, rumors are that MB Brooklands maybe looking at getting some RHD 500 (with the 5.5 ltr engine) in soon - but I will confirm if that is the case next time I pop into Brooklands.

However

Its not a sports car and you are sitting quite high off the ground, so the Centre of gravity will mean its no sports car around corners, but it will be better than you think. Expect to get around 13-17.5 MPG, so not the most economical car around.

If you could be more specific on what you will be doing with your intended purchase and if it is new or pre owned would be helpful.

I hope this helps a bit

Spider1V

lma12
lma12's picture

thanks , yes with 550  i was meaning the 500 with 388 hp , not the 55amg.
i'm "in love"with this car since years and i'm going to decide in buyng one
100% long , possibly recent 2009 2011 , and probabilly the 500 , disel are  great car , but , if i do this "crazy" thing , that obvviously is more related with passion than logical reasons !!  , i want th V8!! i'll use it as 99% paved road , week end , holiday , with family and dog .. winter  with lot of snowy roads.. i do like 15.000 km per year so not so much.. i was only sacred about the driving feeling  on highway .. i'm not a "racer" but now with my volvo xc 70 i gop at 150/170 kmh when it's possible ..
it brakes well ?

i'm writing from Italy not from UK !!

Lorenzo

phileas
phileas's picture

Hi Lorenzo,

You are obviously going to get biased opinions about the G-class on this website/forum because we are all obvious fans.

I would have to add to Spider's muster that the V8 is defintely a cracking machine! However, it is actually a SERIOUS offroader (in N/A guise at least - if you go for the AMGs or 55s you might be dissappointed with its off-road manners) and as such will FEEL like an offroader as opposed to a road-going car. If you want to 'improve' on your Volvo and want corresponding road-like car manners (As you will not doing a lot of offroading), you might want to try for a GL-class. These are great (super-modern) road cars and also surprinsingly capable offroad.They also come with decent V8s..........

If you're concerned about what the G-class is like: it IS a very well engineered car. To answer your question on the brakes, they are very very good on the 500. In fact, when other people drive my V8, they are always surprised how good the brakes are (which, although mine is only a mere 5litre, are as far as I know the same as on the more modern 5.5litre ones: you have to remember that the V8s can tow a full 3.5t trailer - amongst other things, the trailer weight capacities of vehicles is based on how well the brakes can cope not just with a trailer weight but ALSO with or in addition to the engine power and weight of the car itself). Otherwise, on the safety side, it is very hard to fault the G: it effectively has an integrated roll cage, is big, heavy, has airbags and is extremely well-built. What more do you want?........

Whichever way you go, if you do buy a G, you will (and this is where I am very biased) probably love it for all the 'wrong' reasons....which is just the way it should be, completely right.

Good luck/Ph

lma12
lma12's picture

Thanks , i know Gl or Ml probabilly for the use i will do are enough as offroad ability
! But the G is the G! My tread was intended to know if someone after buyng a G , for passion ( as i think most of the owner do) feel some regrets on their decision , in tthe day by day use of the car ,
keep you informed on the next steps

Lorenzo

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture

Lorenzo,

a V8? Being in Italy - petrol is quite expensive? You may want to consider the G400 CDI? That to, is also a V8. Though the new 500 does look and sound great! I have been trying to look for a post a few months ago where someone was asking a similar question and I am sure a few otehr 500 owners posted their experiance.

Good luck!

Spider1V

lma12
lma12's picture

thnaks ,
yes petrol is quite expensive, but i do nomore than 15.000 km a year ..
so differences between Diesel and petrol are not so relevant , on top the $00 cdi had suffered of a lot of problem and issues .. much bettere in case the 320 / new 350 cdi .. but as  the is not a 100% logical choice nothing better than a V8 petrol !!

L

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture

L,

If it is passion and not logic, then the G500 is the ONLY choice! lol

Spider1V

needamerc
needamerc's picture

I have a G55K which is a stunning car to drive. I recently had the chance to drive A G400CDI. It is also outstanding. It makes a lovely noise, pulls like a train and feels nearly as fast as the 55. G500 also very, very nice. Choices, choices.
I hear rumours of the 6.2 litre AMG63 engine being fitted to the G. That would be something special.

bigblock
bigblock's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

There is rumour of MB fitting the AMG65 twin turbo V12 , which would be a bit of fun in a G with 612bhp.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=23634