Replacement panel bottom edge of windscreen for a 460

10 replies [Last post]
Colin
Colin's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Can anyone help?
Recently I saw a replacement panel for the bottom edge of the windscreen for a late 460, it was abot £40 BUT I can't find it anywhere now, I thought it was saved as a favourite but alas no!

Have any of you folks seen this part and could you send me the link please?

M2dxb
M2dxb's picture
Re: Replacement panel bottom edge of windscreen for a 460

no. 8?
http://www.unitcat.ru/mercedes/7/2/1/460538/342/67/015/
best use your appropriate VIN, in case the part changed between 460:
http://www.unitcat.ru/mercedes/2/2/1/

Colin
Colin's picture

Hi M2dxb
Many thanks for that, I don't quite undersatnd it though, can I buy parts from that site and do they have to come from Russia?

It's not the site that I have seen the part on recently it just had an illustration for the part and and a price of £40.00 from what I can remember. I know that it seemed cheap at the time and my plan was just to repair mine, then on hindsight I thought for the sake of £40 I may as well replace it!

Thanks again
Colin

M2dxb
M2dxb's picture

Hi Colin,

Sorry for not explaining further, I sometimes forget that not everyone on here is an MB parts advisor :) just kidding..

The website I linked to is basically a Russian version of the Mercedes EPC (Electronic Parts Catalogue). This EPC is marvellous in that it gives you the part name and number for every part that is used to put your car together. As most UK dealers are hopeless when it comes to looking up G parts, we need to take things into our own hands, and look up the right part numbers ourselves, then take them to the dealer. The dealer can't refuse to look up the price/availability of a number, and then you can decide whether to buy it or not.

So the part number corresponding to 8 on the diagram is:
A4606710729.
Looking up that number on one of the UK dealer part websites, it gives you a price of about £48 new:
http://www.mercedes-benz-parts.co.uk/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&sku...

I haven't personally bought anything from this last site before, but it appears to be run by a dealership group that includes the MB dealers in Oxford, Leicester, Loughborough, Derby, etc so it has a reputable background, and the prices are normally spot on what you would get at any other UK dealer. Alternatively just give that number to your local dealer if more convenient, and he'll get it for you.

Recently on some German TV station they aired a multi-part series on the restoration of an old G, and this part was badly corroded, so they cut it out and replaced it (or repaired, can't remember). I think it is somewhere on video number 4:
http://www.w463.de/orc-280ge.htm
-edit- after watching that again, they appear to have ordered part number 5, the whole windshield surround, and cut it to shape.

jonnyboy
jonnyboy's picture

I have a fabricaed piece that I got from another forum member. No good to me as I am G-less.

£20 plus p&p if you want it.

mgrays
mgrays's picture

Part 8 is the internal panel you see in front of the dash; replaced this but at the same time I had to get someone to fold up an "L" section to replace the vertical lip of the outer section and the 45 degrees slope up under the rubber (i.e the non visible bit of the outer screen surround). Cost from a connected metal folder would be £20 or so.

Colin
Colin's picture

Hi,
sorry for the delayed reply, I really appreciate you taking the time to help, it's very much appreciated.

Kind regards

Colin

Colin
Colin's picture

Hi Jonnyboy,

Is that the inside or external panel that you have?

Regards

Colin

Colin
Colin's picture

Hi MGrays,

that's a great help, I'll need to get the windsreen out etc and have a look at the internal panel, there are signs of some corrosion just belows windscreen rubber but I'm not I've no idea how deep it is at the moment.

I'll keep you guys posted but it's not number 1 on the list, I need to get the fuel system cleaned out as there is a horrible gunge at the bottom of the fuel tank!

thanks again for all your help.

Colin

scouse g
scouse g's picture

i can probably get one if you need it , give me a call 07889585558. graham

johnnytheboy
johnnytheboy's picture

This is exactly what is up with the one i just looked at today, i take it this is a known weak area? to make it worse a windscreen was put in it by auto glass so the full outer frame is rusting. The outer frame price from MBUK was about £600