W460 front bumper and bull bar question

5 replies [Last post]
3gtf
3gtf's picture

Hello there I bought a w460 front bullbar and have had it stripped and painted my body shop guy tells me that it connects to the front bumper is this correct?

fixwin38
fixwin38's picture
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: W460 front bumper and bull bar question

Hi
Most bull bars on the 460/461 series G' Wagons attach to the bumper so the integrity of the bumper structure and the hardpoints that it attaches to must be in good condition
#  EU bull bar regulations apply in the UK.......
bull bars fitted at the factory ( new vehicles) are acceptable  retrofits may result in a fail notification during the  MOT inspection.

3gtf
3gtf's picture

Thank you very much for both replies I shall get my body work man to have another try I think he is losing patience on the doors.
The bullbar was removed from mine as it was rotten and parts have been swapped over from donor bumper,the bumper is totallly sound and the old holes will be re drilled .
It should be ok
Again thanks for your speedy reply
John 

fcp
fcp's picture

I think I'm right in saying that bullbars didn't have to be factory fitted for them to be legal - they could have been fitted by the owner on a vehicle prior to the EU directive. How anyone would tell if a mid 80s vehicle had them fitted post 97 (which is when I think the directive was enacted in UK law - again I might be wrong) I don't know.

Bullbars you see fitted to modern vehicles are generally plastic and/or lightweight metal designed to act in a similar fashion to regular bumpers.

I have a set of original factory bars.. They came off my truck in the summer to b e stripped and re-coated but actually they are probably going to stay off.. The additional weight doesn't do anyone any favours and personally I think the aesthetic is spoiled... they just look dated.

As to the whole pedestrian thing - frankly if you get hit by a 3 ton G wagon its going to be bad new whatever.

fixwin38
fixwin38's picture

Hi
insurance companies are much smarter these days!!
.in event of a serious accident they may go the vehicle manufacturer and get the build details from the vin/chassis number ..anythng that has changed that they consider gives them just cause to "walk away"  and negate the claim is obviously financially advantageous....and saves them money...

cox.adrian
cox.adrian's picture

nine is a 1989 w460 when i got it it in 1990 had a non std bul bar fited to the sump plate
    last year fited a std bul bar on the bumper no problem with MOT