w460 instrument cluster earth location?

3 replies [Last post]
nathan
nathan's picture

i know its been done to death but none of the posts i scrolled through actually helped me!

i now have my 5litre in the w460 and am driving it daily, but a few gremlines persist. one is the temp gauge and fuel gauge.  when i use my indicators/lights and even brakes, the damn temp gauge goes up making it very unreliable. it seem worse when the car is hot.
the fuel gauge is only affected by the lights (not the brakes, nor the indicator). i was going to create a new separate earth for the fuel gauge/temp gauge. when i took the cluster out, i found the brown wire in that cylindrical plug that goes inot the temp/fuel/lights cluster, but couldnt see where it went? i remember when i wrecked the 280ge, i found an earth near the steering column with about 8000 earths off it! i cant see this at all in my G (an RHD  83 300gd). can anyone help me locate the monster earth i vaguely recall or suggest a solution?
any help appreciated
nathan
perth, western australia

fixwin38
fixwin38's picture
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: w460 instrument cluster earth location?

Hi Nathan
earth continuity is a big thing with the petrol G'     bonding leads between the engine and the chassis... radiator ..bonnet ....and if any history of  wiper spindle leaks the two master earthing points at the battery and to the right of the steering column behind the dash ..need to pull them all apart and clean each terminal along with the earthing post to be sure you have 100%  integrity......

nathan
nathan's picture

thanks Fix,
i found the rear chassis earth today. see attached pics for anyone else stoopid like me who didnt know where it was! i cleaned the attachments and wire brushed the area. still no change to my gauges though which jump wth lights and indicators!
i didnt have the energy to relook for the steering column area one again today. with my alarm and handsfree wiring behind there, there is a bucket load of wiring which i think masked my earth in this area.
re the battery tray one, where abouts is this earth as my area has a new bunch of wiring which doesnt make examining the area very easy!
any help (or pics) appreciated

fixwin38
fixwin38's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Hi Nathan
dash earths are where the negative battery lead bolts to the body beside the battery tray ...