W460 Wheel Bolts

6 replies [Last post]
sbb
sbb's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

The Bolts on my W460 have rusted badly and need replacing.

At the moment they are covered with caps, but would like to renew them if possible.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a new set??

Any advice on what to go for would be appreciated.

Thanks

M2dxb
M2dxb's picture
Re: W460 Wheel Bolts

Have a look at the following great resource:

http://www.rubicon-trail.com/G-Class/wheels/bolts.html

Then check the part number prices at your local dealer - you may be surprised. I remember a while back I asked for bolts to fit a 463 alloy and they found old S-class wheels that fit the bill and weren't too dear. The proper 463 alloy bolts were AMG items with a HWA part number, a whole set was exorbitantly expensive.

IanA2
IanA2's picture

sbb wrote:

The Bolts on my W460 have rusted badly and need replacing.

At the moment they are covered with caps, but would like to renew them if possible.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a new set??

Any advice on what to go for would be appreciated.

Thanks

I got a new set of bolts from these guys. Trustworthy and helpful folks.

http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/mercedes_alloy_wheels/g_class_w463_allo...

ToneThePhone
ToneThePhone's picture

I've just priced 5 wheel studs for each wheel at MB dealer because I have the same problem.

They were circa £11.20 + VAT each.

That's £67.20 per wheel

£268.80 for wheel bolts !!! (we're only spending £200 on getting the alloys themselves re-furbished)

The MB dealer assured me that W463 bolts are a different length and part number.

I'm thinking that we may sandblast then cadmium plate the originals but I'd welcome suggestions!

IanA2
IanA2's picture

Try the folks in the link I posted above. 

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

Average price wheel bolts used to be under £5.00 each. There are two different bolts one of the steel wheels and a longer one for the alloy wheels. There is no distinction between W460 and W463. 

Sandblasting and treating the wheel bolts adds to the cost of wheel bolts buy another £5.00 each bolt; unless you have a kit to do this for yourself. A lot of threads have been posted on this topic, have a search entering wheel bolt and read the various threads posted. 

I do not know how cadmium plating will last but of the plating types available most of do deteriorate over time.

Time permitting, I will try to source alternative suppliers.

gav.helme
gav.helme's picture

If the wheel bolts you have been quoted are part number A460 401 01 70 there is a dealer in the UK showing 20 in stock and i am sure they will do you a favourable deal as they are on their obsolete stock...

Drayton Group - Mercedes Benz of Stafford

Victoria Road Station Garage

Stafford

ST16 2DT

01785 220660

As a guide price i would think you should get them for less than £5 each plus vat if you mention that another dealer has told you that they are showing on their STOX system

Hope this helps