460 Speedo required

3 replies [Last post]
Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Has anyone out there got a spare speedo for a 460?  Speedo works but mile counter does not (nor trip of course) and new Flux limited mileage insurance policy requires mileage verification annually.  And it would be good to know how painfully thirsty she is!
How the hell do you take them apart?  Somebody has had a go in the past and clearly failed.

fixwin38
fixwin38's picture
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: 460 Speedo required

Hi Alan
Do you have one in your 1983 280GE??? they are both the same....

Simon666
Simon666's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Hi Alan

Mine was the same - sent it to speedycables (they quote you over the phone) and came back as good as new. Don't press the trip reset button on the go though... they really don't like that.

Cost wise I think about £50-£80. My speedo needle also danced around at low speeds, which it still does as the cable itself is at the end of it's life, but the milage and trip now work fine and the whole unit looks brand new.

I was told you can drive without one - speedo that is - as it is not a requirement for your MOT (if there it needs to work, but if not it does not matter) but I used a satnav just in case - however with a 300GD speeding was not really on the cards.

Ta

Simon

alan.holfordwalker (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

Thank you Gents - SpeedyCables sound like the solution.  Probably somewhat less costly than a new one from MB.
Alan
PS:  Speeding 300GDL?  Tell me how?!  As you say not on the cards ... tempted to fit a boiler to make a brew whilst she warms to task of picking up her skirts and "getting a wiggle on".